Virginia Highway Safety Office News ReleasesFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, December 15, 2014
Media Contact: Brandy Brubaker
Department of Motor Vehicles
Choose the Right Limo Company for Holiday Transportation
DMV Urges Customers to Check Out Service Before Hiring
RICHMOND - The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) urges consumers to do their homework before hiring a limousine for holiday travel. The holidays are a busy time for limousine companies as customers book rides to school dances, holiday parties, tacky lights tours and other festivities. Before you book a limousine or other for-hire passenger vehicle, check DMV's website to make sure the carrier is properly licensed and insured.
"Virginia has plenty of quality, reliable, licensed limousine services; make sure you are choosing one to transport you and your family this holiday season," said DMV Commissioner Richard D. Holcomb. "Visit dmvNOW.com for the only official list of licensed limousine services."
DMV offers the following tips to help choose a limo service:
- Make sure the company holds a valid Virginia license and is properly insured by checking DMV's website.
- Ask for and check the service's references. You can contact the Better Business Bureau, Virginia Department of Consumer Affairs and DMV to see if other consumers have made complaints.
- Ask how the service screens its drivers.
- Ask to see the actual limousine you will be hiring and make sure it is safe and comfortable.
- Ask for a list of what the service covers and what additional charges you might be assessed for gratuities, vehicle cleaning, mileage and fuel costs.
- Do not sign a contract or pay any money until you have read the agreement carefully. Make sure you have exclusive use of the limo during the entire contract period.
To file a complaint about a limo service, you may contact the Office of the Attorney General's consumer protection hotline, either at (804) 786-2042 or (800) 552-9963, or DMV at (804) 249-5140. To file a complaint online, please see Consumer Complaint Against a Motor Carrier.