Virginia Highway Safety Office News ReleasesFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, January 28, 2011
Media Contact: Melanie Stokes
Department of Motor Vehicles
Nominations Sought for Governor's Transportation Safety Awards
Applications Due February 25, 2011
RICHMOND - The outstanding efforts made by individuals and organizations to change the behaviors of Virginia's motorists leading to crash, injury and fatality reduction, may be nominated for the 2011 Virginia Governor's Transportation Safety Awards. The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles is accepting nominations through February 25, 2011 for 17 different transportation safety categories.
The Virginia Board of Transportation Safety, comprising citizens appointed by the Governor, will review submissions and approve final selections. Entries will be judged on creativity, imagination, uniqueness, the impact on the community, and the use of volunteers and private sector resources. Individuals, organizations, businesses or government agencies are eligible for these awards based on transportation safety activities and programs that took place during 2010. The award categories include:
- Lifetime Safety Achievement Award - Presented to an individual who has made significant contributions on behalf of transportation safety initiatives and programs throughout their lifetime.
- W. Calvin Falwell/Major Kenneth Rowe Award for Aviation Safety - Granted for promoting air transportation safety.
- Employer Safety - Awarded to employers who promote traffic safety initiatives and encourage their employees to practice safe driving behaviors.
- General Traffic Safety - Presented for demonstrating exemplary efforts in changing transportation safety attitudes and behaviors through the design, development and/or implementation of engineering techniques that reduce crashes on Virginia's highways.
- Impaired Driving - Granted for promoting alcohol- and drug-free driving.
- Law Enforcement - Awarded to law enforcement personnel who have shown extra initiative in advancing transportation safety in their community.
- Legal - Presented to attorneys or judges who have actively supported transportation safety issues that help create new laws and strengthen existing laws.
- Media - Awarded to media representatives or news outlets that help encourage traffic safety through fair and accurate reporting or programming.
- Edgar P. Layman, Jr. Award for Motor Carrier Safety - Presented for advancing transportation safety in the motor carrier industry through educational programs and activities.
- Motorcycle Safety - Awarded to an individual or group that educates motorists and motorcyclists about motorcycle safety.
- Occupant Protection - Granted for promoting safety belt or child safety seat use through innovative programs and activities.
- E. Wallace Timmons Award for Pedestrian/Bicycle Safety - Presented for advancing safe walking and bicycling behaviors.
- Public Transportation Safety - Presented for contributions made in educating drivers and riders about safe public transportation practices.
- Pupil Transportation Safety - Granted for encouraging, educating and promoting student transportation safety.
- Rail Safety - Awarded for fostering safety on freight or passenger rail systems.
- Water Safety - Granted for contributions made in improving safety for swimmers, boaters and fishermen.
- Youth Traffic Safety - Presented to individuals or groups that educate children and teens about the importance of traffic safety.
To download a nomination form and obtain eligibility requirements, visit www.dmvNOW.com. Entries must be postmarked by March February 25, 2011. Winners will be notified in May 2011. Nominations may be submitted by mail to:
The Governor's Transportation Safety Awards
c/o Audrey Odum, Room 617
Post Office Box 27412
Richmond, Virginia 23269-0001