Renewing Your Driver's License by Mail
You may renew your driver's license every other renewal cycle by mail unless your license is expired, suspended, revoked, or you hold a Commercial Driver's License (CDL). Other conditions may affect your eligibility to renew by mail. If you use the mail to renew, DMV will use the photograph on your existing license.
DMV will mail your renewal application prior to the expiration date of your driver's license.
To renew by mail:
- Review your pre-printed driver's license renewal application that you received in the mail. If your address, height or weight is incorrect on the application, you can still renew by mail. Additionally, you can change your organ donor status. If any other information is incorrect, call DMV at (804) 497-7100. Speak with a DMV customer service agent and explain the incorrect information.
- Complete all questions on the application.
- Sign and date the application.
- Return the application with your payment in the enclosed envelope to:
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
- P.O. Box 26506
- Richmond, VA 23260-6506
For your convenience, you may also apply to register to vote or change your voter registration address when you complete the renewal application.
Please allow up to 15 days from the date of your request for your renewed driver's license to arrive by mail.