Veterans Identification Card
On behalf of the Department of Veteran Services (DVS), the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) now issues veteran ID cards for proof of veteran status to receive discounts from retailers and restaurants.
Veterans ID cards show the veteran's photo, name, branch of service, and signature, but are not intended to be used as official identification. The Virginia State Board of Elections has approved the Virginia Veterans ID card for use at voting polls.
The Veterans ID Card Frequently Asked Questions provides additional information.
To be eligible for the veterans ID card, applicants must:
- Have served in the U.S. Armed Forces and received a discharge status other than dishonorable.
- Hold an unexpired Virginia commercial driver's license, driver's license, learner's permit or DMV-issued ID card.
- Present a copy of a U.S. Armed Forces veteran service proof document according to the Virginia Department of Veteran Services, showing 180 days of active duty* service. Such documents include DD214, DD256 or WD AGO that displays your:
- Branch of service,
- Discharge date, and
- Discharge status. (Individuals with a dishonorable discharge status are not eligible for a veteran ID card).
- Consent that the information on your application and any subsequent address changes you make will be shared with the Virginia Department of Veteran Services.
* According to 38 U.S.C. § 101, the term "active duty" means full-time duty in the Armed Forces, other than active duty for training.
Submission of Applications
Customers may apply online, by mail, by fax, or in person at a DMV customer service center.
- Customers who opt to process their request online will need to submit a copy of their online receipt and the required veteran status proof document(s) to DMV within 15 days of their online application. These documents can be submitted to DMV by mail, by fax or in person at a DMV customer service center.
- Customers who apply by mail, fax or in person will need to complete a Virginia Veterans Identification Card Application
(form DL-11), provide a copy of their veteran service proof document(s) and payment.
- Driver Support Work Center, Room 419
- P. O. Box 27412
- Richmond, VA 23269-0001
- (804) 367-1112
- A DMV customer service center
Customers who apply in person will receive a receipt showing all of the information that will display on their card, which will be mailed. While waiting to receive the card by mail, veterans will be able to use the receipt to show veteran status to receive retail discounts.
When applying for a veterans ID card, please make sure that DMV has your current address on your record.
The cost of the veterans ID card is $10. The card will not display an expiration date.
The cost to replace a lost or mutilated veterans ID card is $10.
Sharing Information with DVS
- Every six months DMV will electronically share with the Virginia Department of Veteran Services (DVS) information from your veterans card application and any subsequent address changes you make.
- DVS may use the information DMV provides to:
- Establish a record for veterans not in the DVS database
- Mail letters about DVS services
- Determine if the veteran has filed a VA claim
Lost Your DD214?
To obtain a replacement DD214 (or if you are a veteran and were never issued a DD214), you may access the federal website www.archives.gov for information, or contact the Virginia Department of Veteran Services at (804) 786-0286 for assistance.