Renewing Your Identification Card
DMV will mail you a renewal application prior to the expiration date of your ID card. To receive your renewal application on time,
be sure to update your address with DMV. You may renew your ID card as early as
six months prior to the expiration date on your current ID.
Your renewed Virginia ID card will expire at the end of the month in which you were born. It normally will be valid for five
years and will expire when you reach an age divisible by five; e.g. 20, 25, 30, etc.
The cost to renew your identification card is $10.00.
ID Card Renewal Exceptions
If you are authorized to be in the U.S. temporarily and have been issued a limited duration ID card,
the ID cannot be renewed. A subsequent ID will be processed as
an original ID card, and proof of
legal presence is required. You will not be eligible to
receive a limited duration ID card, or permit if your authorized stay in the U.S. is less than 30
days from the date of your application.
If you hold a license of any kind, issued by any state within the United States, you are not eligible
for an ID card unless you surrender the license. If you currently hold both a driver's license and
ID card, you must surrender your driver's license before you can renew your ID card.
How to Renew Your ID
You can renew your ID either online or at a customer service center.
Every other cycle, you may renew your identification
- Your last ID card renewal was not completed at a customer service center.
- You need a new image (photo) on your ID card.
- You are under the age of 18.
- Your identification card has expired.
- Your ID card is not due to expire within the next 6 months.
- Your name must be changed or corrected on your ID card.
- You owe money to DMV for a prior transaction.
- Your customer number on file needs verification.
- You do not have a Virginia address (unless you have qualified for a
Virginia address requirement exception).
- You are required to provide proof of legal presence.
Renewing at a Customer Service Center
To renew your ID card at one of our customer service
- Complete the Driver's License and Identification Card Application
(DL1P) either before or after coming to a DMV office. You
may use this form to notify DMV of a name or address
change, to apply to register to vote, or to change your
voter registration address.
- Present proof of legal presence (if your current ID card
has expired or if you are
holding a limited duration ID card).
- Present your current ID card.
- Have a new photo taken.
- Pay the fee. You may pay your renewal fee with cash, money order, check, check card or major
credit card. Note: Those eligible to renew by a preferred method (i.e., by telephone, by
mail, or online), who decide to renew
at a customer service center, will
be charged an additional $5 fee. The fee will not apply if the renewal is accompanied by a
transaction that must be done in person.