TNC Partner Vehicle Requirements
A transportation network company is responsible for ensuring that only personal or authorized rental vehicles are used to provide TNC services for its company. The vehicles used cannot be registered as for-hire use and must meet the following standards:
- Have a maximum seating capacity of no more than eight persons, including the driver;
- Be validly titled and registered either in Virginia or in another state;
- Not be branded as salvage, nonrepairable, rebuilt, or an equivalent classification;
- Have proof of a current Virginia or approved out of state safety inspection (even if the vehicle is not registered in Virginia);
NOTE: The Department of State Police has determined that the jurisdictions listed below currently have a motor vehicle safety inspection program which meets the requirements set forth in Va. Code §46.2-2099.50 (A)(5) which requires a valid annual inspection from one of the identified jurisdictions. Note: not all of the jurisdictions listed below require residents to present their vehicle on an annual basis.
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
- Be insured by a policy providing coverage for commercial use of the vehicle and;
- Display a trade dress issued by the TNC that clearly identifies the TNC or TNCs with which the vehicle is associated. Trade dress should be displayed on the rear passenger side window.
If you are using an authorized rental vehicle, remember to ensure that the rental vehicle has been paired to your driver profile before operating the rental vehicle for TNC purposes.