Registering a Vehicle for TNC Use - REPEALED
During the 2017 General Assembly, legislation was passed to repeal TNC vehicle registration requirements. Therefore, effective March 25, 2017, Transportation Network Company (TNC) partner vehicles registered in Virginia or in another state are no longer required to be registered with DMV to provide TNC services in Virginia. This includes vehicles registered for private and rental use.
TNC partners with Virginia registration can continue to operate on their current TNC credentials until they perform a registration transaction that requires new decals. At that time, either the TNC use will automatically be removed or the TNC partner vehicle registration will be renewed, whichever comes first.
Those customers wishing to remove and replace their registrations can do so through the service options listed below. DMV will issue them updated credentials consisting of a registration card without TNC use displayed on it and regular private or rental vehicle decals corresponding to the vehicle's current expiration year.
Service Options for Virginia Registered Vehicles
- Online through your MyDMV account via the TNC Decal replacement process (cost $1.00)
- Mail a completed Vehicle Registration Application (VSA-14) (cost $1.00) to:
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Motor Carrier Services
- PO Box 27412
- Richmond, VA 23269
- Fax a completed Vehicle Registration Application (VSA-14) to (804)367-1003 (cost $1.00). Customer will be contacted for credit card information
- Visit any DMV customer service center with a completed Vehicle Registration Application (VSA-14) (cost $3.00)
Vehicles Registered in Another State
Customers with vehicles registered in another state should remove and destroy the Virginia-issued black and gold TNC decal and TNC registration card. No further action is required.