JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Transportation of Property Broker

Type of Operation

Transportation of Property Broker


A person who arranges for transportation of property by companies authorized by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles to transport property and who is not a motor carrier or an employee or agent of a motor carrier.

Authority Document


Operating Requirements

  • Under this type of license, you can only broker the transportation of property for pick up and delivery within Virginia.
  • You can only arrange for the transportation of property with companies that are authorized by the Virginia DMV to conduct such operations.
  • You cannot arrange for the transportation of household goods. Household Goods - personal effects and property used or to be used in a dwelling, when a part of the equipment or supplies of such dwelling, and similar property if the transportation of such effects or property is (i) arranged and paid for by the householder, including transportation of the property from a factory or store when the property is purchased by the householder with intent to use it in his dwelling or (ii) arranged and paid for by another party.
  • This license may be transferred by filing a Operating Authority Certificate or License Application (form OA150) with DMV, to be completed by both the transferor and transferee. The license must be in an active status.

Tariff and Time Schedule Requirements


Insurance Requirements


Bond Requirements:

You are required to keep a surety bond or letter of credit in the amount of $25,000 on file with DMV's Motor Carrier Services. Refer to Broker for the Transportation of Property Bond (form OA437) or the Property Irrevocable Letter of Credit (form OA456).

Registration and License Plate Requirements


Filing Fees

$50 filing fee

$3 for a duplicate license

Miscellaneous Requirements

Address Change - You must report any new address to DMV's Motor Carriers Services within 30 days.

Discontinuing Service - If you go out of business or stop providing the service authorized, you must notify DMV in writing within 30 days.