1. Who is eligible to use the Internet Citation Payment feature?
Anyone who has been issued a Virginia Citation may use the Internet Citation Payment feature.
You must provide the citation number, offense jurisdiction code, offense date, and total amount assessed for the citation
you are paying.
2. Is there are fee for using the Internet?
There is no additional fee for using the Internet. You pay only the total amount assessed on the Virginia
Citation and/or a $50 reinstatement fee if applicable.
3. How do I pay for a Virginia Citation on the Internet?
You will need your copy of the Virginia Citation or Notice of Citation you want to pay.
You may use the following payment methods online:
- Credit Card displaying the AMEX, Discover, MasterCard or VISA logo
- Debit card displaying the MasterCard or VISA logo
- Withdraw funds from your checking account electronically by providing DMV with your
bank's routing number and check account number.
4. Can I pay for more than one Virginia Citation online?
All Virginia Citations may be paid using the Internet Payment feature. However, you may only pay one citation at a time.
5. What happens if my Virginia Citation is paid and a $50 reinstatement fee remains unpaid?
Your privilege to operate on Virginia highways remains suspended until the $50 reinstatement fee is paid.
6. What happens when my checking account has insufficient funds to cover the electronic check or the account has been closed?
The electronic check can be returned for the same reasons as a paper check. If your account has insufficient funds, the electronic check
will automatically be presented a second time two days later. You will be charged a
$30 penalty fee or 10%, whichever is greater, by DMV for a returned check.
In addition to the DMV charge, most banks charge a return check fee also.
7. Can DMV debit my account again with this bank information?
No, you are authorizing the debit for this transaction only. DMV does not keep your bank information
on file. If you choose to use this method of payment again, you will be asked to re-enter
the information at that time.
8. How long does it take for my account to be updated if I pay a Virginia Citation over the Internet?
Your account will be updated with the citation payment immediately.
9. What transactions, other than payment of a Virginia Citation can I conduct online?
DMV offers a wide variety of transactions that can be conducted online. There are also a large
number of forms that you can either download or fill in online. Go to our Online Transactions
page or our Forms page to see a complete list of options.