Renewing Your Vehicle Registration by Telephone
Before You Dial
- Review your pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail. If your address is incorrect on the notice, you can still use the touchtone system to renew. If any other information is incorrect, call DMV at (804) 497-7100. Speak with a DMV customer service agent and explain the incorrect information.
- Have your credit card and vehicle renewal notice handy when you call. If your vehicle requires an emissions certificate at renewal time, have the certificate in front of you when you call.
Make the Call
If you renew your vehicle registration for two years, you will receive a $2 discount. You can save even more by renewing your registration for three years and receive a $3 discount. However, multi-year discounts are not available in all cases. Please see below for a list of exceptions.
- Two- and three-year registrations are not available if your vehicle has a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more, is registered under the International Registration Plan, or if you have paid the uninsured motor vehicle fee.
- The three year registration is not available when you initially register your vehicle.
- The three year registration is not available if your vehicle is garaged in Arlington, Fairfax City, Loudon, Prince William, Stafford, Alexandria, Fairfax County, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park, since vehicles in these localities are subject to an every other year emissions inspection.
When to Expect Your Decals to Arrive
Most customers receive their vehicle registration materials within five days, but U.S. mail delivery times vary. Please allow 15 days to receive your decals before contacting DMV.