Selective Service System
If you are a male U. S. citizen living in the U.S. or abroad or a male immigrant (permanent resident alien) residing in the U. S., and you are age 18 through 25, you are required to register with Selective Service System. With registration, you will be eligible for:
- Federal student loans and grants
- State student aid in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Job training benefits
- Most federal jobs and jobs with the US Postal Service
- State jobs in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- US citizenship for male immigrants seeking citizenship
You may register online with the Selective Service System. A registration acknowledgement card will arrive in the mail within two weeks after registration. Keep this document in a safe place as proof of registration.
Once registered, you must notify Selective Service within 10 days of any changes in the information you submitted at the time of registration, including address changes. Changes must be reported until January 1 of the year you turn 26. You can report an address change by:
- Completing a change of address form (SSS Form 2) at the post office, or
- Calling: 1-888-655-1825 (toll free).
If you need more information about the requirements for registering with the Selective Service, the benefits and programs linked to registration and many other topics, visit online.