DMV News Releases
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEMonday, October 3, 2011
Voter Registration Deadline for November Election is Oct. 17
Virginians Should Verify Voting Status, Polling Location
RICHMOND - The deadline to apply to register to vote in the November 8, 2011 election is Monday, October 17. Customers may apply to register to vote at any of the 74 Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) customer service centers or 57 DMV Select locations throughout the state, or at their local registrar's office. For information on DMV locations, hours and schedules, visit www.dmvNOW.com.
Citizens are urged to check their voting status before the October 17 application deadline. If you need to find out if you are registered to vote or where your polling precinct is located, visit the Virginia State Board of Elections website at www.sbe.virginia.gov, call 1-800-552-9745 or contact your local voter registrar.
Citizens are not registered to vote until a paper voter registration application is completed, signed and approved by your local registrar. Once an application is approved, a voter registration card will be mailed to you from your local registrar's office.
To be eligible to register to vote in Virginia, you must:
- be a resident of Virginia
- be a U.S. citizen
- be 18 years old (Any person who is 17 years old and will be 18 years old by November 8 may register)
- not be registered and/or plan to vote in any other state
- not currently be declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- have had your right to vote restored, if convicted of a felony