Code of Professionalism
As representatives of the Commonwealth, each employee of the Department of Motor Vehicles shares responsibility for demonstrating professional excellence, ensuring service quality and honoring the laws of the land.
- Demonstrate loyalty, good management and competence.
- Treat everyone fairly, impartially and with respect.
- Promote teamwork, open communication and an atmosphere of mutual trust.
- Offer solutions when challenges arise.
- Learn continuouslystay informed and excited about our services.
- Share knowledge freely to promote success.
- Support and encourage those who make mistakes as they strive for excellence.
- Display a professional appearance.
- Support and promote agency decisions and initiatives.
- Ensure that others receive credit for their work and contributions.
- Represent the agency and the Commonwealth with excellence.
- Always put the customer first.
- Greet customers with courtesy and a smile.
- Listen carefully and show customers that we care.
- Understand customer concerns before attempting to address them.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and a sense of immediacy in service delivery.
- Provide clear, accurate and consistent information to all customers.
- Explain alternatives and possible outcomes.
- Actively seek new ways to improve customer service.
- Provide colleagues the same courtesy and responsiveness as customers.
- Uphold the laws of the United States and the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Safeguard the Commonwealths resources.
- Guard against conflict of interest and the appearance of impropriety (e.g., nepotism, improper outside employment, misuse of public resources, or acceptance of gifts)
- Oppose all forms of discrimination and harassment.
- Respect and protect privileged information and the privacy of individuals.
- Conduct official acts without partisanship.
- Take responsibility for ones actions.
- Act with honesty and integrity at all times .