Obtaining a Replacement Identification Card
Why Replace Your ID?
If your Virginia ID card is lost, stolen or damaged, you may obtain a replacement. You may also need to replace your ID if it is damaged or mutilated. Additionally, you may choose to replace your ID to change your address or change organ donor status.
If you are authorized to be in the U.S. temporarily and you were issued a limited duration ID card, the ID card may be replaced providing it is valid and unexpired. You will not be eligible to receive a limited duration ID card if your authorized stay in the U.S. is less than 30 days from the date of your application.
If you hold a license of any kind, issued by any state within the United States, you are not eligible for an ID card unless you surrender the license. If you currently hold both a driver's license and an ID card, you will be required to surrender your driver's license before you can replace your ID card.
How to Obtain a Replacement ID
You can replace your ID either online or at a customer service center. A replacement ID card costs $10.00.
You may obtain a replacement identification card online, using a DMV-issued PIN number, unless:
- Your current ID card was issued prior to January 1, 2004.
- Your name must be changed or corrected on your identification card.
- Your identification card has expired.
- You owe money to DMV for a prior transaction.
- You are under the age of 18.
- You have an identification card photo that should be retaken.
- Your customer number on file needs verification.
- You have surrendered your identification card to another state.
- You do not have a Virginia address.
- You have already requested an identification card replacement online today.
- You are required to provide proof of legal presence.
At a Customer Service Center
To obtain a replacement ID card at one of our customer service centers:
- Complete the Driver's License and Identification Card Application (DL1P). You may complete the form before or after coming to a DMV office. For your convenience, you may also apply to register to vote or change your voter registration address, or notify DMV of a change of address or name when you complete this form.
- Present two identification documents; however, only one primary identification document is required if you are under age 19. For more information on identification requirements, refer to "Acceptable Documents for Obtaining a Driver's License or Photo ID Card" (DMV 141). .
- Have a new photo taken.
Please note that you will not receive your new ID during your DMV visit. Instead, you will be given a receipt and you will receive your new ID card in the mail. For this reason, it is important that DMV has your current address.