Adult ID Card
- Issued to an individual age 15 and above who does not hold a learner's permit or driver's license issued by any state within the United States.
- Requires two proofs of identity, one proof of legal presence and proof of Virginia residency. (Only one primary identification document is required if you are under age 19.) Use the interactive document guide to determine which documents you will need to bring to DMV when you apply, or refer to "Acceptable Documents for Obtaining a Driver's License or Photo ID Card" (DMV 141).
- Does not require proof of legal presence if you were born in 1937 or earlier and DMV can verify that you have held a Virginia driver's license or ID card that is either valid or has not been expired for more than 5 years. (You may be required to provide proof of your old license or ID card.) Proof of legal presence is required for persons who are temporarily authorized by the federal government to be present in the U.S.
- Your ID card expires the last day of your birth month once you have reached an age divisible by 5; e.g. 20, 25, 20 etc.
- Individuals required to register with the Virginia State Police Sex Offender and Crimes Against Children registry (Virginia Code Chapter 9 of Title 9.1) will be issued ID cards valid for five years.
- Costs $10.00.
What Is On an Adult ID Card
The ID card contains the following:
- Customer number
- Date of birth, height and gender
- Expiration date and issue date
- Full legal name, address and signature
- Full-face photograph
- Statement "Not a license to operate a motor vehicle"
- Statement "Organ donor information"
- Statement "Under 21 until date", if applicable
- Statement "Under 18 until date", if applicable
To find out more about getting an ID card, refer to Obtaining an Identification Card.