How to Apply For a For-Hire Intrastate Operating Authority
Certificate and License Applications
If you are applying for any one of the following authorities, complete and submit the For-Hire Intrastate Operating Authority Certificate or License Application (Form OA141). You must submit a separate application for each authority type you wish to obtain.
- Common Carrier - Irregular Routes
- Common Carrier - Regular Routes
- Contract Passenger
- Household Goods
- Transportation of Passengers Broker
- Transportation of Property Broker
- Sight Seeing
Generally, the following items must be submitted with your application:
- a filing fee of $50. You must submit a separate filing fee for each authority type you wish to obtain.
- a surety bond,
- a tariff that includes all of your rates and any rules, policies, or guidelines you require of your customers (Household Goods, Common Carrier - Regular and Irregular Routes and Sight Seeing)
- a time schedule (Common Carrier-Regular Route and Sight Seeing only).
See the For-Hire Instrastate Operating Authority Certificate or License Application (Form OA141) for other items that you may be required to file with your application.
If your application is approved, you will receive notification to file proof of liability insurance before the operating authority certificate can be issued. (Insurance does not apply to brokers.)
If you are applying for any of the following authorities, complete and submit the For-Hire Intrastate Operating Authority Permit and/or Decal Application (Form OA142).
All permit applicants must file proof of minimum limits of liability insurance at the time of application. Employee Hauler and Taxicab applicants are also required to submit a $50 filing fee with the application.
Submitting Your Application
DMV offers two options for submitting applications:
- By mail to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Motor Carrier Services
P. O. Box 27412
Richmond, Virginia 23269-0001
- In person at any of our customer service centers.