IFTA Licensing Requirements
You must apply for IFTA licensing if you operate any of the following motor vehicles in Virginia and at least one other jurisdiction:
- Vehicles that have two axles and a gross vehicle weight (i.e., the maximum weight of the vehicle and its load) or registered gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds;
- Vehicles that have three or more axles regardless of weight; or
- Vehicles that are used in combination, when the combined weight is more than 26,000 pounds gross or registered gross vehicle weight.
NOTE: These are referred to as "qualified" vehicles.
You are not required to apply for IFTA licensing in Virginia if:
- you travel only in Virginia
- you are registered as an IFTA carrier in another state; or
- you are operating a recreational vehicle.
The following vehicles are exempt from IFTA licensing in Virginia, but these exemptions may not apply in other IFTA jurisdictions requiring the payment of road tax for these vehicles:
- Vehicles owned by a licensed motor vehicle dealer that are operated without compensation for purposes related to a sale or for demonstration;
- Vehicles owned and operated by federal, state, or local governments;
- The first two trucks or tractor trucks that are licensed in Virginia and are used for farm use only (as defined by Section 46.2-698 of the Code of Virginia) and are not licensed in another state; and,
- Vehicles such as well-drills and cranes if the vehicle is not required to display license plates when moved on Virginia's highways and is operated under a special permit.