Escort Driver Certification
What is Escort Driver Certification?
All escort vehicle operators are required to be certified prior to performing the duties of an oversize/overweight load escort vehicle operator in Virginia.
To qualify for the escort driver certification, a person must:
- Have a valid Virginia driver's license or valid license in the state or jurisdiction in which he or she is a resident.
- Comply with the permit policy and regulations and all state traffic laws.
- Have passed the escort driver's certification test.
- Pay a $25.00 certification fee.
Escort drivers are not required to be certified, if:
- They are officers of the Virginia State Police or law enforcement officials of any jurisdiction in Virginia that provides escort services.
- They are for military convoys or other federal or state government vehicles.
Where To Apply
Complete the application (HP 404) and take the test at any Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles customer service center. The Virginia Escort Driver's Manual (HP 405) will assist you in your preparation for the test. An appointment is not necessary.
The fee for an original or renewal Escort Driver Certification is $25.00. The fee for a duplicate or reissue Escort Driver Certification is $15.00.
Escort Driver's Test
The Escort Driver's Test will be administered through DMV's Knowledge Automated Testing System at DMV Customer Service Centers. The test is multiple-choice. You will know your test results upon completion of the test. You will receive your certification in the mail at a later date once your driver's license and driving record are validated.
Please allow at least 30 business days for this process to take place.
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Hauling Permit Section
P.O. Box 26302
Richmond, VA 23260