Licensing Process for Salvage Dealers, Demolishers,
Rebuilders, Salvage Pools and
Vehicle Removal Operators
Va. Code § 46.2-1601
Please note that it is unlawful for any person to engage in business in the Commonwealth of Virginia as salvage dealer, demolisher, rebuilder, salvage pool, or vehicle removal operator without first obtaining a license from DMV as required by the Virginia Code section referenced above.
Listed below are the forms and license fees needed to apply for a salvage dealer, demolisher, rebuilder, salvage pool, or vehicle removal operator license:
|License||One Year||Two Years|
|Primary salvage type license||$100||$200|
|Each additional salvage type license at the same location||$25||$50|
|Supplemental locations located within 500 yards of the licensed location||no fee||no fee|
Before you receive your license, the following requirements must be met:
- The location of the business must be either owned or leased by the applicant. The specific address must be shown on the license application. Post Office Box mailing address alone will not be acceptable.
- If the business is a corporation, proof that the corporation has been registered with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) must be submitted with your license application. Any “trading-as” or fictitious name must be first filed through the local courts. Proof of court filing and a fee of $10 must be mailed to the SCC. Please furnish proof of this filing by including a copy of the receipt from the SCC with your license application.
- The location of the business must be at least 600 square feet of enclosed space.
- The business must be in compliance with all applicable local zoning ordinances. Proof of zoning compliance certification (DSD 65) must be submitted with your license application.
- The business must be permitted under a Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System individual or general permit issued by the State Water Control Board for discharges of storm water associated with industrial activity, unless your business is exempt from such permitting requirements. The permit number(s) or an exemption certification must be shown on your license application.
Upon receipt of your license application with appropriate fees and enclosures, a DMV representative will contact you to schedule an on-site inspection to determine if the business location meets the requirements outlined in the salvage licensing laws.
Mobile Demolisher Permit
A Virginia salvage licensee, who wishes to demolish vehicles at an address other than the one on their Virginia salvage license, must apply for a Mobile Demolisher Permit. (VA Code § 46.2-1603.1). The permit is valid for a maximum period of 15 calendar days and the fee is $15.
If you are a Virginia salvage licensee that is not licensed to demolish vehicles, you must contract with a Virginia licensed demolisher prior to completing the Mobile Demolisher Permit application. If the salvage license of either licensee expires during the 15 day mobile operation period, the Mobile Demolisher Permit will no longer be valid. Be sure to check with state and local governments for ordinance and zoning requirements that may apply.
To apply for a Mobile Demolisher Permit complete a permit application (DSD 11) and mail the form along with the $15 fee to:
The Department of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Dealer Services
P.O. Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269-0001
Please allow two weeks for delivery.