Print on Demand Temporary Tags
Since December 2009, Virginia dealers have been participating in the Print-on-Demand (PoD) temporary tag program and issuing 30-day temporary tags from their printers. All dealers who wish to issue temporary tags are required to participate in the program. The program expanded in November 2013 to include 5-day temporary transport tags.
Benefits to dealers include:
- No inventory to track
- No requirement to obtain DMV permission to purchase or issue subsequent sets
- Real-time update to DMV's records
- No unauthorized use of temporary tags
- Ability to inquire on a tag number and get owner name, address, vehicle description, as well as issue expiration dates
- Ability to recall transactions
- No increase in cost - synthetic paper supplied by DMV
- Durable paper tested to withstand weather conditions
- Available in both standard and motorcycle sizes
- Ability for dealership to display corporate logo
To become a Print-on-Demand dealer, contact one of the approved vendors listed below in the Contact Information section.
How It Works
Vendor-operated software allows dealers to electronically transfer vehicle and owner information to DMV, produces a unique temporary tag number and expiration date, and allows dealers to print their own 5-day temporary transport tags. This process connects the vehicle's tag number and VIN to the owner, which cuts down on the "black market" demand for temporary tags.
Participating dealers find that the program makes the temporary tag process easier and more efficient. Temporary tags print directly from a laser printer on white 8.5 x 11 synthetic paper, which is provided by DMV at no charge. The weather-resistant product does not require a plastic sleeve and is affixed directly to the vehicle using four screws.
Vehicle and dealership information is printed directly on PoD temporary tags. A temporary registration card also prints on the same sheet and is given to the owner or operator to place in the vehicle. DMV stores the vehicle information and temporary tag expiration date in its records, and law enforcement can access it through the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN).
Dealers pay $3 for each set of 30-day temporary tags (single tag for motorcycles) and $1.50 for each 5-day temporary transport tag (single tag for all vehicle types) issued. Dealers can issue reprints at no charge. The system tracks the number of temporary tags issued to each dealer and payments are made to DMV through the vendor.
This customer-friendly service was created with dealer and law enforcement input to ensure that your business needs are met.
Department of Motor Vehicles
- Print on Demand Help Desk
- (804) 367-1474
- Computerized Vehicle Registration (CVR)
- Scott O'Laughlin
- (919) 753-8008
- Dealertrack (formerly triVIN)
- Sales related questions: Sales 800-876-2312 extension 4999
- Service related questions: Customer Support 800-211-3639
- Don McNamara
- Regional Account Manager
- 14850 Montfort Drive, Suite 190
- Dallas, TX 75254
- Phone: (757) 869-1922
- Fax: 1-888-285-0534
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virginia Interactive
- Customer Service
- (804) 786-1851
- For additional information from this vendor, please refer to
- Virginia Interactive - Print on Demand Temporary Tags