Motorcycle Dealer/Salesperson Licensing Process
The first step to becoming a salesperson or a dealer-operator is to take a test at any of DMV's customer service center (CSC). Once you pass the test, you may apply for a license. As the license is issued in the name of the dealership, you must apply through a particular dealership where you will be working. The license application materials and payment of licensing fees may be processed through a DMV Customer Service Center. A criminal background check is performed on every initial application.
If you apply for an original motorcycle dealer's license, you must pay an annual license fee. In additional, you will be required to furnish a $25,000 surety bond for three (3) consecutive years. The requirement for the bond will be dropped upon completion of 3 consecutive years without a claim against the bond.
License Forms and Fees
Listed below are the forms you need to apply for a franchised or independent motorcycle dealer's license, salesperson's licenses, and dealer license plates.
|Form||Fee for One Year||Fee for Two Years|
|Dealer License Application (DSD-10)||$100||$200|
|Application for Certificate of Qualification/Salesperson's License (DSD-7)||$10||$20|
|Criminal History Check Data Form (MVB-21)
License Fee & Bond Waiver
If you are applying for an original or renewal motorcycle dealer license, or if you are a salesperson for these types of dealership, you may be eligible for a license fee and bond waiver if currently licensed by the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board and the applicant provides proof of this license (a photocopy of the current Board dealer and salesperson licenses is adequate proof). Please note that this license fee and bond waiver is only applicable for the address/physical location indicated on the Board issued licenses.
If you are applying for a dealer’s license, you must include the name of a certified dealer before the application will be processed. Each salesperson applicant must be certified. You may obtain the dealer-operator and salesperson certificates of qualification by successfully completing an examination administered at a local DMV Customer Services Center, and paying the $25 fee. If you desire to purchase dealer license plates, you must complete an "Application for Dealer/Drive-Away/Office Trailer Plates" ( DSD-9). You must also certify automobile liability insurance coverage for each plate and must maintain liability insurance as long as the dealer plate remains valid.
Dealerships may purchase a maximum of four plates per licensed salesperson. The fee for each motorcyle dealer license plate is $9 per year. A sign must be displayed in the public sales area of the dealership with the amount of the processing fee charged, if any. The sign must be no smaller than eight and one-half by eleven inches (8½" x 11") and the type at least one-half inch high.
Each dealership owner, partner and/or officer of the dealership, each dealership-operator and all salespersons are required to complete and submit a criminal history form along with all other applications.
Effective July 1, 1997, initial applicants will have the option of either providing their own criminal history background check as obtained from the Department of State Police or DMV will provide this service for a fee of $15.
The following additional requirements must be attached or included in the application.
- The location of the business must be either owned or leased by the applicant. The specific address must be shown on the application. A post office box mailing address alone may not be acceptable.
- Provide a $25,000 surety bond executed from a corporate surety company licensed to do business in the Commonwealth.
- A copy of your “Buyer’s Order” for approval, which must include items outlined in Va. Code § 46.2-1993.23. Be sure that the “Buyer’s Order” includes an item designed as “processing fee” and the amount charged, if any. For sales involving dealer arranged financing, your buyer’s order must indicate this information.
- Written proof of zoning, which includes the sale and display of motor vehicles, must accompany the application.
- If a corporation, proof that the corporation has been registered with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC). Any “trading as” name must be first filed through local courts. Please furnish proof of court filing and a fee of $10 mailed to the SCC. Please furnish proof of this filing.
- Franchised dealers must attach a copy of the franchise agreement or original franchise letter that includes the manufacturer’s or distributor’s service agreement. The manufacturer or distributor must also be licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles, Dealer Services Work Center.
A DMV representative will contact you to schedule an on-site inspection to determine if the dealership meets the established place of business requirements as outlined in the Virginia Motor Vehicles Dealer Licensing Laws.